[*BCM*] MassBike is hiring!
david at massbike.org
Mon Oct 16 18:17:58 EDT 2006
Advocacy and Programs Associate
MassBike, the Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition, is seeking a full-time
Advocacy and Programs Associate to play a central role in bicycle advocacy
programs statewide. The Advocacy and Programs Associate will report to and
work closely with the Executive Director.
MassBike is the statewide bicycle advocacy group for Massachusetts, with
more than 2500 members and three chapters: Metro Boston, Pioneer Valley, and
Cape Cod & Islands. MassBike serves and protects the interests of the
bicycling public in Massachusetts, and promotes the bicycle as a healthy,
enjoyable, efficient, and environment-friendly means of transportation and
recreation. MassBikes programs include advocating for bicycle-friendly
legislation and bicycle facilities in roadway and trail projects; educating
the public about bicycling safety; and encouraging bicycle commuting. Over
the next year, MassBike will significantly expand its education and commuter
programs, expand the chapter program, and work with public health agencies
to promote the fitness benefits of bicycling.
· Work with local, state, and federal legislators on legislation to
protect and promote the interests of bicyclists.
· Work with municipal and state transportation agencies to include
bicycle facilities in road and trail projects.
· Work with public health agencies to develop joint programs to
· Continually research and update the Executive Director on best
practices for bicycle advocacy.
· With the Executive Director, ensure that MassBikes positions are
presented at meetings and hearings.
· Assist the Executive Director to review bicycle related plans and
other documents, and prepare MassBikes official comments.
· Help coordinate MassBikes chapter resources and experts to provide
input on bicycle facility design projects.
· Assist the Executive Director with forming new chapters and
strengthening existing chapters.
· Help coordinate commuter programs, including workplace commuter
workshops, bike shop commuter package program, mentor program, and
low-income commuter program.
· Speak at public forums, meetings, and events on various bicycling
· With the Executive Director, supervise volunteers and interns on
· Write articles for Mass Cyclist, MassBikes quarterly print
· Assist with production of MassBikes twice monthly email
· Help distribute materials to bike shops and other business
· College degree or equivalent relevant work experience. Nonprofit
and advocacy experience preferred.
· Strong interest in bicycling for transportation, fitness, and fun.
· Strong interpersonal skills.
· Excellent communication skills, both writing and speaking.
· Willingness to work some nights and weekends for events.
· Creativity, eagerness to learn, and capability to manage multiple
ongoing projects to completion.
· Ability to take initiative and work independently.
· Experience and comfort working with computers (Windows, Microsoft
Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint, FileMaker or other database, and the
Internet). Web design/programming experience helpful, particularly
· Drivers license (unfortunately, we cant ride our bikes
· Flexible, organized, and self-confident.
· A good sense of humor.
Salary and Benefits:
Starting salary will be up to $30,000, commensurate with experience.
Benefits include medical insurance, paid vacation, and paid holidays.
To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to bikeinfo at massbike.org.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Bostoncriticalmass